The Process Engineer works with the Production and Value Stream Managers on a day-to day basis and reports to the Production Manager for strategic direction and technical support. The intent behind this position is to provide the Value Stream teams with direct technical support to resolve operational issues, implement process improvements, support New Product Development, item improvement, process improvement, Process Engineering Project Management, and cost reduction projects.
The individual will be required to learn our processes to become fully competent in process analysis and design aspects of the Engineering role. Must be a hands-on individual, willing to work in all areas of the manufacturing plant and capable of solving problems both on the floor and in design.
- Review daily production performance (Morning Reports) and working with the Value Stream Manager (VSM) or Specialist, determines any immediate process engineering actions needed to address daily performance problems.
- Completes production and energy audits to observe process variation and look for opportunities to reduce waste. Maintains a focus on “Critical to Cost” (CTC) and looks for opportunities to optimize processes.
- Prepares product and process reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends of Performance, Defects, and Downtime data.
- Identifies and develops process and equipment needed to produce specific products.
- Researches and develops methods to increase productivity, decrease costs, and maintain quality and consistency in current and new products.
- Design testing methods, test finished-products and processes, coordinate data collection, results analysis, establish standards, and confirm manufacturing processes.
- Researches and analyzes basic and complex issues surrounding the production processes and systems. Provides support and input for the design and implementation of new manufacturing processes, equipment, and tools.
- Lead and facilitate strategic Process Engineering projects, Continuous Improvement Team (CI Team), item improvement meetings and communicate status of Strategic Projects to Management and the Value Stream.
- Helps define “Critical to Quality” (CTQ) and evaluates Mold Equipment issues, provides analysis and recommendations working with the Machine Shop and Mold Design.
- Promote the use of and develop A3 proposal, status and problem solving reports.
- Promote and Utilize Lean Six-Sigma tools in process improvement projects.
- Understand process capacity, capability, quality, and drive continuous improvement.
- Coordinate installation and commissioning of new production equipment, monitoring modifications and upgrades, and troubleshooting processes. Evaluates the effectiveness of these new installations and makes recommendations.
- Interface with other internal/corporate engineering disciplines (mechanical, mold design, electrical, etc.), forming specialists, QA, machine repair, maintenance, and mold shop to ensure a coordinated design and complete engineering deliverables.
- Maintain focus on long-term process improvement projects. Maintain balance between short-term value stream support and long-term process improvement projects
- Provides recommendations regarding machine maintenance or enhancements, to increase machine performance and reduce downtime.
- Assist in the preparation of engineering project proposals.
- Reviews PM policy, Planned PM activities, and adherence to PM Procedures to develop recommendations to increase reliability.
- Evaluates changeover procedures and working with the Salary Specialists, Supervisors and Machine Repair, recommends improvements.
- Develops Standard Operating Procedures and Standard Work for Value Stream activities to insure process stability and consistency.
- Participates in Rapid Improvement events and provides Technical Assistance for LEAN activities within the value stream.
- Facilitates necessary meetings and represents the Value Stream Manager when needed.
- Demonstrated use of structured problem solving skills. Six Sigma, Shainin, or Lean experience preferred.
- Broad based engineering knowledge and excellent computer skills including CAD (AutoCad, Solidworks), MS Word, Excel, Visio, and Project.
- Experience with using Design of Experiments (DOE), Statistical Process Control (SPC), and various Statistical Data Analysis tools.
- Demonstrated success in establishing collaborative relationships
- Experience working with engineering and operations on cross-functional projects, facilitating process improvements, ability to streamline/develop and roll-out new processes
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S.) in Mechanical, Manufacturing or Chemical Engineering is required
- Experience with LEAN and Six-Sigma are desired. Manufacturing, Process and Machining knowledge/experience is a plus
- Strong verbal presentation and clear concise written communication skills appropriate to the audience
- Ability to work off shifts as required
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Consistently exhibit Libbey values in all interactions with Libbey associates
Libbey Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or any other federal, state, or local protected class.
Location/Region: Toledo, OH (US - 43611)