Patient Access Representatives provide our world renowned healthcare team with comprehensive administrative support. PAR's serve as the first point of contact for patients and exemplify personal warmth, patient engagement, and professionalism. PAR's offer solutions in anticipation of patient needs and greet every patient verbally, with eye contact, and body language that is welcoming and friendly. In this highly visible role PAR's support departmental teams and interact with patients, families, and health care providers.
- Responsible for interviewing/registering/instructing patients in a face-to-face setting or on the telephone.
- Enters and validates medical, demographic, insurance, financial, and business data in a timely and courteous manner to ensure master patient index integrity and creation of an accurate claim.
- Prepares standard patient materials including forms, labels, brochures, surveys, etc.
- Maintains confidential health records, processes physician orders, and schedules patients. Identifies and communicates need for interpreter services.
- Provides patient education regarding third party coverage and liabilities.
- Communicates possible payment options and personally connects patients to financial counselor if needed.
- Collects, posts, and balances co-pays, deductibles and other patient payments.
- Maintains expertise in PAS legal and compliance requirements; incorporates principles into workflows Handles a wide variety of patient inquiries regarding services and logistics to ensure patients can access care with maximum throughput and minimal delay.
- Recruits and trains patients to access My UH Care Personal Health Record.
- Ensures achievement of productivity and quality standards.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of computer systems, insurance/government regulations and UH/PAS policies/procedures used within the department.
- Functions as an integrated team member and works collaboratively with other staff and providers across the system to improve patient experience and department efficiency.
- Actively participates in UH emergency preparedness. Maintains a clean and organized work area.
- Will be cross-trained to perform other duties as assigned. May be scheduled to work at off-sites.
(This role encounters Protected Health Information (PHI) as part of regular responsibilities. UH employees must abide by all requirements to safely and securely maintain PHI for our patients. Annual training, the UH Code of Conduct and UH policies and procedures are in place to address appropriate use of PHI in the workplace.)
- Minimum 1 year of experience in call center, patient registration, scheduling, office, banking, customer service or related medical field using computers required. A bachelor's degree will be accepted in lieu of 1 year of work experience.
- Demonstrated ability to use PCs (and toggle between multiple applications), MS Office, and general office equipment (i.e. printers, scanners, electronic signature pads, copy machine, multi-line phone, FAX machine, etc.) required.
- Excellent keyboarding/data entry skills required.
- Must be detail-oriented and organized, with good analytical and problem solving ability.
- Notable client service, communication and relationship building skills required.
- Ability to function independently and as a team player in a fast-paced environment required.
- Must have strong written and verbal communication skills and excellent spelling.
- Professional demeanor required.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Degree or progress towards degree preferred.
- Medical Terminology preferred.
This position is scheduled 12 hours per week on variable shifts. The schedule includes rotating weekends and holidays.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity.
Location/Region: Elyria, OH (US - 44035)